Since Valentine's Day in just a few days away and this is heart health month, Bob and Caroline Scott of the Louisville Athletic Club stopped by the studio to give us some tips for keeping our hearts healthy.
"Your heart is a muscle, and like any other muscle it must be worked to remain healthy. So it's very important to incorporate some type of cardiovascular exercise into your routine at least 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes each time. There are so many activities that you can do for cardiovascular health. They include, but are not limited to: brisk walking, running, biking, swimming, elliptical, tennis, jumping rope, climbing stairs, etc. Basically, anything that gets your heart rate up and gets it into an aerobic zone which is about 70-80% of your max heart rate. A real simple way to find out your max heart rate is to simply subtract your age from 220." - Caroline ScottOther Heart Health Tips from Bob:
- Eat heart healthy foods, like those super foods we mentioned last week. Heart healthy foods include: lean proteins, fruits, veggies, whole grains, and good fats.
- Less Sodium: Limiting your sodium intake will help keep your heart healthy.
- Portion Size: Make sure you keep an eye on proper portion size. Try not to overeat at meals.
- H2O: Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Staying properly hydrated helps reduce your risk of developing heart disease.
- Recharge: Get plenty of rest; aim for 8-9 hours of sleep per night if possible. Sleeping gives your body time to heal and repair itself so it is extremely important.