This morning Bob and Caroline Scott of the Louisville Athletic Club shared 10 of the best "super foods" to eat for optimal health during 2013.
- Grass-fed Beef: It's lower in overall fat, higher in Vitamins E and C, beta-carotene, and Omega 3s. Studies show it is also useful in preventing cancers, improving metabolism, reducing inflammation, and lowering body fat.
- Eggs: Excellent and inexpensive source of protein. Full of vitamins D and A, B Vitamins, Potassium, and Folic Acid.
- Dark Chocolate: the darker, the better. It is filled with antioxidants and can help lower blood pressure.
- Artichokes: These are a powerhouse for supporting the liver and maintaining a healthy digestive tract.
- Celery: It contains good fiber and helps to lower high blood pressure.
- Cabbage: It supports healthy liver function, improves blood circulation, and promotes healthy vision.
- Butter: After decades of misleading negative information regarding fats in the diet, researchers are now realizing that unprocessed, natural forms of saturated fat are actually good for us even crucial for physical and mental health. Butter helps calm inflammation in the gut.
- Coconut Oil: Another good saturated fat, coconut oil contains numerous nutrients that are anti-microbial, support optimal thyroid function and brain health.
- Mushrooms: Strengthen the immune system and promotes cancer prevention.
- Kale: High in lutein and several vitamins, kale lowers the risk of cancer and helps detoxify the body.
For these and more great health and fitness tips, check out Caroline's blog at carolinescott.org