It's the end of this year, so New Years Resolutions are right around the corner. Many people make resolutions for improving their overall health This morning Bob and Caroline Scott of the Louisville Athletic Club stopped by to share a few things that we can do to increase the quality of our health and add years to our lives.
Deuteronomy 5:33 - "Walk in obedience to all that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess."
"There are some really easy ways to add years to your live and improve the quality of your overall health.
- Eat more raw veggies: Just one cup a day can add up to 2 years to your life. The reason they should be raw is that cooking depletes the nutritional value by 30%. You can always throw your favorite dressing on them.
- Monitor your BMI (Body Mass Index): Keeping your BMI in a normal range will add 3 years to your life. Excess body fat leads to many preventable diseases including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer.
- Eat Nuts: Researchers found that people in a study who ate nuts 5 days a week added about 3 years to their life span.
- Enjoy Friendships: Having a core group of faithful friends can add 7 extra years to your life. A study was done on a group of men in their 70s, and researchers found that those with a large network of friends had longer lives.
- Be positive: Having a positive outlook on life and expressing it through volunteering and helping others on a consistent basis can add about 7 years to your life.
- Be Prayerful: Praying for a long and healthy life is the most important thing. Why not ask God for favor when it comes to your life and health?"
These tips and more can be found on Caroline's blog, carolinescott.org