Bob & Caroline Scott of the Louisville Athletic Club have often spoke about the importance of including "good fat" in our diets, some of which can come from oils. Today they shared their thoughts on Coconut Oil.
"For so many years, we were told to eat no fat, low fat, but good fats from oils are actually essential to a healthy diet. You can get some of those good fats from coconut oil. Here are some of the benefits:More Benefits of Coconut Oil from Bob Scott, Louisville Athletic Club:
-Caroline Scott of the Louisville Athletic Club
- Hair Care: Coconut Oil helps in the healthy growth of hair, making it more shiny and preventing dandruff.
- Stress Relief: Coconut oil is very soothing and helps relieve stress and mental fatigue.
- Skin Care: It's excellent for the skin as well. It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types including dry skin. It can be used just like lotions, creams, etc that are used for skin care.
- Premature Aging: Coconut oil helps in preventing premature aging.
- Heart Diseases: The saturated fat in coconut oil is beneficial for the heart. It helps in preventing various heart problems including heart burn, high cholesterol levels, and high blood pressure.
- Weight Loss: Coconut oil is very useful in reducing weight. It contains short & medium-chain fatty acids that help in taking off excessive weight.
- Pancreatitis: Coconut oil is also very useful in treating pancreatitis.
- Digestion: Coconut oil helps in improving the digestive system and thus prevents various stomach & digestion related problems including irritable bowel syndrome."
- Immunity: Coconut oil is good for the immune system and helps fight off diseases and sickness.
- Healing: When applied on infections, it forms a chemical layer which protects the infected body part from external dust, air, fungi, bacteria, and virus
- Infections: Coconut oil is very effective against a variety of infections due to its antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties.
- Liver: It helps reduce the work load on the liver and also prevents the accumulation of fat on the liver.
- Kidney: Coconut oil helps in preventing kidney and gall bladder diseases. It also helps in dissolving kidney stones.
- Diabetes: Coconut oil helps control blood sugar, and improves the secretion of insulin.
- Bones: Coconut oil improves the ability of our body to absorb important minerals. These include calcium and magnesium which are necessary for development of bones.
- Dental Care: Coconut oil helps in the prevention of tooth decay.
"We buy the Organic Spectrum Brand. It comes in a solid form, but can be used in sauteing and baking in a liquid form. You can also top your food with it for added nutrition" - Bob Scott Louisville Athletic ClubFor more health and fitness tips, check out Caroline's Blog: carolinescott.org