Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Live Love Loud: Highlights from the Morning Show

Live in the Moment
Thursday was beautiful and almost Spring-like.  Earlier that day, I was starting to think too far in advance about everything I have scheduled for the next couple of months and began to get overwhelmed.  So after work, I went home and took my dog for a walk.  It’s a simple thing, but that really helped me let go of all of the things that don’t really matter.  There’s something to be said for simplicity; It’s freeing to have quiet moments. God doesn’t want us to constantly be striving – for more stuff, for more things to do, for fulfillment.  At least once today, find a quiet place and just be in the moment.  Don’t think about your deadlines or where you have to be – just stop and let yourself enjoy those simple joys that come your way.


When is it ok not to Love?
A few months ago, I was having a chat with Chris Crain and all of a sudden he asked me a question that has really stuck with me.  He asked me, “When is it ok NOT to love.”  It was one of those unexpected questions that took me aback for a second, but I immediately knew the answer… Never.  It’s never ok not to love.  Love is so important to God that He sent Jesus to save us.  Love is so important that when asked what the greatest commandments were, Jesus told us to love God above all and then to love our neighbors as ourselves.  It’s so simple that children understand it perfectly, yet it’s difficult to operate in love all of the time.  1 Corinthians chapter 13 tells us that love is patient, kind, not envious but humble, forgiving and always putting others before ourselves.  That’s difficult in an imperfect world where our hearts aren’t always handled gently.  Yet at the end of the day, the answer is still going to be the same.  Keep loving; it’s the only thing that makes a real difference.

Love out loud:
"Practice hospitality to one another without grumbling" 1 Peter 4:9
I keep a post-it on my bulletin board at the station that says, "Love is an action.  Compassion is worthless if all you do is feel."  I keep it close to me so that I have a constant reminder to act on the needs that I see in the lives of others the moment that I happen upon them.  If someone is hungry now, don't wait until tomorrow to feed them.  I feel the same way about prayer and encouragement.  Being friendly, especially when it's not convenient, is so important especially as a Christian.  If you notice when you are out today, there are a lot of people going through life with a lot on their minds.  Sometimes they appear unfriendly or tense, but we cannot judge their entire lives based on one negative encounter.  You can never fully know what another person is going through.  A little kindness can make a huge difference in someone's day.  God doesn't waste any thing.  He will use your love and your kindness to touch lives.


Tech mentions:
There is some new technology that is suppose to be made available to the public in just a couple of years.  It is an alternative to the mouse that is currently used for individuals who have physical limitations that prevent them from using a standard mouse to control their computers.  This new technology will monitor the movement of your eyes and direct the computer's cursor to the location that you are looking.  For instance, when reading an article or book you will be able to scroll through the article as naturally as you would if you were scanning a paper book, magazine, or newspaper.  Or if playing a video game, your eyes would be the controller instead of having to use a hand held device.  Click the link if you want to check out the full article.  ABC News Article: Eyes Instead of Mouse

No comments:

Post a Comment