Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Meatless Monday & More: Monday's Highlights

Meatless Monday: In an effort to change things up a bit in my own pursuit of healthy, I've been researching Vegetarianism.  Mind you, I don't want to be a Vegetarian.  However, there are certain aspects of the Vegetarian diet that I appreciate for both health and environmental reasons.  For me, I think the Flexitarian Diet is where I am most comfortable which is basically eating mostly veggies and occasionally eating meat.  That being said, I revisited the idea of "Meatless Monday" this past week.  I decided to give it a try today.  The one confusing aspect of both Vegetarianism and "Meatless Mondays" are that I'm not really sure whether or not eggs are considered meat.  Depending on the answer, this could potentially make this much easier for me.  Albeit, eggs kind of seem like cheating so breakfast was Oatmeal.  Normally I love Oatmeal, but this morning I really wanted eggs.  Go figure.  :)
A veggie salad for lunch was an easy choice, and dinner was a homemade veggie pita pizza.  So all in all, I think my first Meatless Monday was a success.  I think that with all of the meatless meal options it would be easy to give up meat one day a week; but I do think it would require some extra planning.  I intend to give it a try for the next couple of weeks at least, and I'll post some Meatless Monday Recipes.  Here's a couple of  recipes for my favorite meatless meal, pizza!


Roasted Vegetable & Ricotta Pizza
Veggie Pizza Recipes:
Here are a couple of veggie pizza options that look like they would be tasty. I've got my favorite toppings, but typically they vary based on what I have on hand or what sounds good.  If you haven't tried grilled pizza, it's amazing.  I tried it for the first time last weekend and loved it!

Roasted Veggie Ricotta Pizza   {And}
Veggie Grilled Pizza




Sun Exposure: Motivation for Monday Fitness:
Bob and Caroline Scott of the Louisville Athletic Club spoke with us today about whether Sun Exposure is good or bad.  We hear so much conflicting information about being in the sun.  Here's their health and fitness advice concerning the sun.
"If you are deficient in vitamin D, getting a little sun may actually reduce your risk of developing certain non-skin-cancers.  Sunlight triggers the production of vitamin D, which in turn has been shown to help reduce the risk of developing breast, colon, prostate, and lung cancers.  So getting brief, unprotected sun exposure is a good thing.  The chance of getting a deadly skin cancer (which generally takes years to develop) is pretty unlikely if your exposure is in brief increments.  The benefits of vitamin D (in these instances) actually outweigh the risk of getting skin cancer." - Caroline Scott
Here are some tips from Bob Scott about making sure you are getting enough Vitamin D:

  • Consult with your physician first!
  • Consider a Vitamin D supplement.
  • Add Vitamin D rich foods into your diet, such as: Salmon, skim & low-fat milk, mushrooms, yogurt, eggs, and healthy cereals.
  • Eat more antioxidant rich foods such as fruits, veggies, beans & nuts.
  • Expose your skin to the sun in short increments on as many sunny days as possible.
  • Eat healthy to increase the health of your skin tissue.  This will protect your skin more when you are being exposed to the sun.

For more health and fitness tips, visit Caroline's Fitness blog carolinescott.org


Twitter Contest:
Follow 88.5 WJIE on Twitter by this Sunday, June 17 and you will be registered to win 4 tickets for a day at King's Island, including admission to the Spirit Song Festival!  Our twitter handle is @885WJIE but you can also find the link at wjie.org.  Don't forget, follow us by Sun, June 17th!



Visit SpiritSongFest.com for Artist Line up
Fact or Fiction:
This week on Fact or Fiction we will be quizzing you about Baseball Lingo in celebration of the 88.5 WJIE Day at Slugger Field this Saturday.  Play Fact or Fiction with us this week at 7:20 am and you could win 4 tickets to Spirit Song Festival on Thursday, June 28th featuring some cool concerts.



88.5 Days of Summer:
The 88.5 Days of Summer is underway from now until August 20th!  There will be lots of opportunities to win prizes, see Big Daddy Weave with the Louisville Bats, and more. Plus everyone who wins an on-air prize will be automatically registered to win backstage passes and VIP seats to meet the Newsboys at the Concert during the KY State Fair.  

No comments:

Post a Comment